Saturday, July 18, 2009

Another New Home (That's My Fourth This Year)

Every night here, I fall into bed more tired than I've ever been in my life. Usually that's the bus system's fault. Last night, we got to the downtown Cairns bus stop before 10, and we waited until about 11 for that bus to come. The buses are on average 40 minutes late. What is that crap? Then when I get on the buses, I have to find somewhere to nap uncomfortably, since I unfailingly get extreme motion-sickness. The bus drivers fly around the roundabouts in the craziest and fastest way they can.
I moved into my new apartment a few days ago. It looks like a beach condo! I really like my roommates; I was super relieved that I was put with them, since there were a few girls that would have been hard to live with: the future Kindergarten teacher, the boyish bully, and the out-of-control drinker. Miraculously, they were all put in an apartment together and I got put with two girls who are very like me and one boy who's quiet but pretty cool. The girls like to talk about books and stuff, so we've all bonded quickly. Any girl who has read the Twilight series multiple times is going to get along with me easily :)
It's shocking how much stuff I have to buy still. I feel like a spending machine, but I really can't survive here without buying a bike, the How I Met Your Mother DVD set (which I found for super cheap!), and some cool souvenir stuff. I can't wait to own a didgeridoo and a boomerang!
One last thing: the beach is just down the road and it's beautiful! It's so nice to be able to walk down there for an hour at the beach. We don't have to have beach days, we can just go for a little bit. Ah, it's wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment